Wednesday, February 12, 2014

garlic & thyme quinoa patties

I posted this picture of my lunch on facebook yesterday-



And I received quite a few requests for the recipe.  If I'd known people would be so interested, I would have taken more pictures.  And made sure I actually had all the proper ingredients.  What I made was sort of a mash up of stuff as I had left over quinoa from the previous nights dinner I wanted to use up.

Here is the original recipe.  (I've included my "hybrid" recipe too.)  Enjoy!

Garlic & Thyme Quinoa Patties
from Cook Republic

2 & 1/2 c. cooked quinoa (cook it according to your packages instructions and let it cool)
5 organic eggs (I used non-organic eggs and 4 of them)
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
3 whole meal bread slices, processed into bread crumbs (I used 3 c. panko bread crumbs)
1/4 c. chives, finely chopped (I didn't have any on hand, they taste fine without them)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I use my Pampered Chef garlic press)
1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped (I used 1/2 of a white onion)
1 T. fresh thyme, finely chopped (I used 2 tsp. dried thyme leaves)
1 tsp. paprika
sea salt flakes to taste (I just used boring regular salt, approx. 1 tsp.)

olive oil to pan fry

Combine all ingredients and mix well.  The recipe says to mix with a large wooden spoon, but that means more dishes so I just use my hands.

Scoop up some mixture to shape a pattie, according to Cook Republic, "your patties should be approximately 5cm in diameter and 1cm thick."  Since I don't speak metric, I just scoop up a palm full and shape it into a small patty.

Heat 1-2 T. oil in a large pan on medium heat.  "Gently place" 4-5 patties, or turn your hand upside down and slap the patties in the pan, and shallow fry.  Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.

Repeat until all patties are cooked, use a tablespoon of oil for each new batch.  Makes- 20

Serve hot or cold.  With ketchup.  Which sounds gross and not right after you've just splurged on organic eggs and whole meal homemade bread crumbs.  So I serve them with semi-homemade marinara sauce.

Notes:

From C.R., "these are delicate patties and a tad tricky to shape as they may stick to your hands or fall apart in the pan.  Gentle handling will prevent them from falling apart."

No.  It won't.  These aren't a tad tricky to shape.  They are impossible.  Doesn't matter which recipe you use.  The 6 in the pic above were the best looking ones.  As you shape the patties they just glob up, so be patient and flip them into the pan off your palm carefully so you don't splash hot oil on yourself.  Once one side is cooked, they hold together pretty well.

No comments: